Monday, May 6, 2013

Sick Day Reading

Dear reader, I have been forced to stay home today by some unknown pathogen, probably passed on to me by one of our valued customers visiting the store, so I figure all of you collectively owe me one. I will accept remuneration in hard cash or in suggestions of good literature to read while sick. I'm currently midway through the excellent Wolf Hall, but I have found it difficult to follow the intricacies of the Tudor court while feeling gross. 

Normally, I would pick up my copy of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, but I seem to have hit a wall at around a dozen re-reads. I'm burning through an immense backlog of comics that includes spin-offs of television maestro Joss Whedon's greatest creation: Angel-- yeah, Buffy fans, I said it. Most of them are workmanlike, but I am finding John Byrne's collection quite enjoyable. Strangely enough, I also enjoy a good rant when sick and so find some solace in Christopher Hitchens' polemics or in the heated debate over foodie-ism prompted by some recent books that I might treat on in another blog post.

I started this post with the intention of figuring out what makes for a good sick day read, but looking back on my own, very strange, picks, I realize I have no idea. Hey, I'm sick, give me a break. If you have any suggestions or just want to let me know what idiosyncratic literature you reach for when you have the sniffles, write below in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment