Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hoarding: Buried Alive (in Books), Pt. 1


Inspired by Nick Hornby's fantastic column in The Believer (which you should check out here), I thought I'd share with you a list of recent purchases and recent reads, mostly so that I'm held accountable for my hoarding-style habit of purchasing too many novels.

Books Bought:
*The Yellow Birds -- Kevin Powers
*My Antonia -- Willa Cather (Penguin Drop Caps Edition)
*Sisters -- Brigitte Lozerech
*Swamplandia -- Karen Russell
*All That Is -- James Salter

Books Read:
*The Kings and Queens of Roam -- Daniel Wallace
*Black Warrior Review Issue #39.2, Spring/Summer
*You Lost Me There -- Rosecrans Baldwin (in progress)
*Tin House Issue #54, Winter Reading
*The Liars' Club -- Mary Karr

Disclaimer: There are probably four or so more titles that I'm forgetting at the moment.

In the Books Read column, Wallace's Kings and Queens of Roam was a fantastical romp (more on that later...), Black Warrior Review was worth reading but still hit or miss, and The Liars' Club was positively life-changing. If you come into Flyleaf, I'm prone to recommend it. It's a little scary right now to have no memoirs on the slate, seeing as non-fiction is a perennial favorite of mine, but if the first couple of pages are any indication, The Yellow Birds might fill that void despite being fictional. Tin House was also hit or miss for me, but I think that's the nature of a lit review; I like seeing things that aren't readily accessible to me, that require some effortful reading.

What are you sinking your teeth into at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment