Thursday, August 23, 2012

An English Author

Ian McEwan has a new book entitled Sweet Tooth. Well, it will be out in the US in October. I happen to have a signed British first edition in my possession as I write this. I have to admit I haven't read it yet. But everything I've heard leads me to believe I am going to enjoy it.

On Tuesday evening Ian Rankin answered questions about his fictional character John Rebus. (Rankin has been writing about Rebus for twenty-five years.) The conversation between Rankin and the moderator was so funny. It was as if they were discussing an old friend. Clearly the audience felt that way. They practically gave Rankin a standing ovation when he announced that Rebus would be making a comeback in his new book after retiring in the character in the book Exit Music in 2007. The new book will be called Standing In Another Man's Grave and will come out sometime in 2013.


This week has been such an amazing experience. The Edinburgh festival is really an intimate gathering of enthusiastic readers and writers who want to meet them. It's encouraging to see how these interactions play out, not only in book sales, but also in true appreciation of audience and writer alike. I leave Edinburgh Saturday morning for London. Although I am looking forward to that part of the trip,  I'll be a bit sad to leave the book festival and all of the great writers behind. It's been such fun. Now all I have to do is find the time to read the books that I've purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment