Monday, October 3, 2011

A Few Items of Interest


The Man Booker Shortlist - I've been negligent for not mentioning the titles on the fiction shortlist.  The six books, selected from the longlist of 13, are:

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Jamrach’s Menagerie by Carol Birch
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
 Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
*Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman
*Snowdrops by A. D. Miller
*first novels
I have not read any of these titles yet.  If you have, please let me know what you think.  A few won't be available in the US until January 2012.  Something to look forward to in the new year.
Here's a link to A Guide to Navigating NPR’s Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy Books.”  My sources tell me this chart could be greatly enhanced with a little work.  Any takers?
And finally, on one of my favorite websites The Millions, Very Bad Things: A Pessimistic Reading List by Emily St. John Mandel.  We could make a lot of additions to this list, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment